Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Putting a grip on

So today I continued on with the completion of my putter by going to dicks and having a grip put on the shaft. I asked Dan, my mentor to arrange a time when I could go up and get it put on. The guy who helped his name was Jay, and JE was very nice and helpful. He started out by clamping the shaft down on a table. He then put a layer of tape on the shaft at the top and smoothed it down. The tape was just this double sided standard tape that's used in all club assembly and has a brand name of "grip tape". By the way to you readers,  I'm sorry I couldn't get pictures, jay said it was against store policy for whatever reason. After he put the tape down he sprayed it with a solvent, and then sprayed the solvent inside of the grip too. The tape and inside of the grip are apparently both activated by the solvent, and its from this that the grip stays on so well. Ager he that he just slid on the grip and it stuck like a glove, and now I have this:


Also the research that I did for how big putter shafts was very very important because if I had not known the standard size for the butte was .59 inches, then this entire process could've gotten a lot worse, including the possiblity that jay would've had to apply a ton more tape to make the shaft thick enough for the grip, or it could've been way too big and resulted in me having to reschedule and sand down my entire shaft even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment