Monday, May 14, 2012

5/14

After another week of not accomplishing much hands-on-wise, I did some researching about golf in general, how to putt, and putter assembly. What I found was very interesting, mainly because of how I found it. For example, before when I searched for putter shaft sizes, I got some very vague results, which I tried to interpret without much success, so I decided on a size I would make and stuck to it. But when I searched for "should I cut down my putter" (I've been uncomfortable with the one I've been using this spring), I found a putter/golf tech forum that had a good list of putter specs that the manufacturer 'Scotty Cameron' uses.

33" Shaft - 350g head
34" - 340g
35" - 330g

I also looked more through Roger Maltby's site, which I've used in the past, and found a much more comprehensive list of putter weight ratios here: http://www.ralphmaltby.com/home/267; and is very helpful; the list goes from the weights of C-0 to E-5, depending on the shaft size. So from what I've found is that aluminum is much too light, density-wise (only 2.7 g/cm^3), to serve as an acceptable material for my putter. Even if my head were to be just a block that's 4x1.3x1, it would still only be 217.62g; much too light for a 30" shaft. From what I could figure out, the D-2 weight from Maltby's site is increasing by 10 for each inch, so if I were to use a 30" shaft then my head weight should be 411g. Doing more calculations, I found that if I were to use stainless steel as my metal (8.0 g/cm^3) then I would need about 51.375 in^3. I'll be modifying my inventor file to try and hit that number as close as possible, and I think it'll be interesting to see what it looks like in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment