Wednesday, May 23, 2012

5/23

I met with Mr. Breigle on Wednesday and set up a time to start milling the head tomorrow 8th period. He said we would be using the hand-mill, which is not the same as the CNC mill. The CNC mill is different because it requires a code for it to cut anything, hence the "Computer Numerically Control" acronym. However the hand mill is simply the same kind of spinning mill, and setup overall, except that the spinning mill is controlled by turning different levers to get it to move up and down and side to side. I have no idea how to use this and I will hopefully understand and be able to use it by the end of my session tomorrow.

I have also begun to start to sand down the end of my shaft in preparation for how small it's going to be. Right now the tip is at about .6 in, or its original width because I had never touched it before. But now that I have the set size of the hole that I'll thread in my putter head, .33 in wide, I can finally sand it completely down with confidence.

I've had some trouble sanding this entire bottom by hand though, so I think I'm going to go into the tech department tomorrow during one of my free's to quickly sand it down on one of the sanding machines, which are quick and easy to use. I'll sand it down to about .35in at the tip, and then hand-sand it the rest of the way for precision. Here is a picture of the bottom after I tried to hand sand it down; it doesn't look too shabby but it basically has to be half as wide at the end, and I really can't do that by hand unless I waste a lot of sanding paper and time. You can also find a picture of what the tip looked like previously in my blog to compare it to what it looks like now.


No comments:

Post a Comment