Thursday, May 3, 2012

Happiness Revisited


We read an article on Happiness a while back in class and this is just my response to it.
When do I feel the most happy?
I feel the most happy when I am out playing golf, although it’s not always the most rewarding or satisfying experience. Being able to escape for a couple of hours is very relaxing, and at the same time golf gives a challenge that I love and will always be there. There are other things that are enjoyable for me, like reading, going places with friends, video games, etc, but none can relax and challenge me at the same time.

Respond to the article:
I found the article very interesting after writing that first response to what makes me happy, since the article’s author found  a combination of skill and challenge that would make people the most happy, and I can really relate to that since I always like to challenge myself and when I have the skill to meet that challenge I really enjoy myself. This “flow” he talks about I think I can relate to very much, and have also experienced a kind of it when doing calculus or playing a rhythm game.

Where am I on the flow chart?
With life, I believe that I am probably a little north of the “flow” zone, since right now I’m a little overwhelmed with school, but other than that I think I’m right in the middle of the flow otherwise.

How has my "flow" changed throughout the course of my project?
Well I think that it probably has been a little in the "boring" zone so far just because everything I've done hasn't been extremely challenging, although it has taken a good bit of effort and creativity so far for coming up with ideas for the head design, different materials, etc. But I have had fun with the project and I don't feel overwhelmed with it, and I guess so far I've had a pretty positive experience.

How can I achieve flow?
Well I think in my activities outside of school I've done that pretty well, but with life in general I think I need to start to realize my shortcomings and the fact that I cannot do everything in life or be the very best in whatever I choose to do. So if I were to achieve flow in life I would have to lower my expectations for myself. However, this is something I cannot do, or else I fear I will lose all drive to become something better than I am right now. Setting unrealistic goals is my way of achieving important goals, and putting myself in a "challenging" area like the article suggests is just how I want to become a better, more well-rounded person. Maybe in retirement I can finally sit back and be truly happy, but until then I don't think living in a state of bliss is how I want to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment