Monday, March 19, 2012

Update 3/19

Over the past week I've been modeling different putter head designs after learning a very important piece of information from Mr. Krywe: the tech department doesn't have a ball-mill for the CNC Mill; they only have flat-heads. This really changes how I design for this, since I can't do curved surfaces at all, and sloped surfaces will have to be a lot less steep or else I run the risk of having the metal come out looking like crap. I really liked the idea of a head that instead of having a solid back surface that sloped down or curved down from the top of the head to the bottom like this one:

I would instead have a set of "steps" on the back; the same kind of idea that farmers use in the mountains so they have flat planting surfaces. I'm sure someone has done it before, but I've never seen one like it and I wouldn't think many other people would've seen one either, since none of the current major brands like Nike, Titleist, Taylormade, etc., have made a model like it in the past 20 years and probably further back. I have been doing other variations that wouldn't require to cut a slope too steep, but so far this is my favorite.

I'll be meeting with my mentor on Wednesday and bringing my different designs to him to try and finalize a decision for the design so I can bring it into Edgecam and start making the milling process.


No comments:

Post a Comment