Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Poem thoughts

On Monday in class we read the poem 'Two Tramps in the mud Time' by Robert Frost, and we were asked to write a blog/journal entry about what we thought about it and how a part of it relates to our own project. For me, it was the stanza about him chopping wood that resonated with me:

"Good blocks of oak it was I split, As large around as the chopping block; And evert piece I squarely hit Fell splinterless as a cloven rock. The blows that a life of self-control Spares to strike for the common good, That day, giving a loose my soul, I spent on the unimportant wood."

I chose this because I get the same, enjoyable mindless experience when sanding my golf shaft, because even though it's slow work I enjoy knowing that it will pay off in the end with a good looking piece of wood. There's also another stanza later on when he talks about him loving the prospect of chopping wood even more and relishes it when he is surrounded by problems; although I don't think I could ever love sanding wood, I have experienced that same situation and can relate.

I've got a funny feeling that other people in the class are going to choose the same lines, since the other stanzas are kinda abstract and I asked the people around me and they all said that same thing as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment