Sunday, February 5, 2012

Ay ay ay! I didn't realize my phone took such huge pictures, I really don't think 2 MB was really necessary to capture this.

Anyways, these are just some sketches of possible face groove designs I could implement, if I decide to use grooves at all. Each set of grooves represents a unique solution to how the ball will roll off the face of a putter. Some grooves will help it roll smoother right away by hitting it with less backspin, others will try and correct for mis-hits. These are also the grooves recommended to me by my interviewee, who thought these five would be a good start to making my own set, or using one of these if I think it more advantageous than any other for my style of play.

The outline of the face behind the grooves also doesn't represent the actual shape of the head; it's merely a backdrop to help me visualize the grooves. Now I also want to talk about not having grooves, which I mentioned in my first post, because it's very possible I might not do it due to lack of correct drill bits or simply time. Putters didn't really have grooves until the 1980's, and before then putters still worked just fine, but it did take more skill, finesse, and knowledge of one's putter in order to use the putter to its full capabilities. Whether or not I choose to use grooves is not a decision to make right now, but it is one I'll be thinking about when designing heads, so that some may hit down more into the ball due to the moment of inertia of the putter head so that grooves to make the putter stay on the ground less needed, or a head with a more angled face to give the ball an extra nudge.

2 comments:

  1. Does having the groves on the face of the putter help the golfer control where the ball goes? Do you have a favorite putter with a specific style of face grooves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let the issue of correct drill bits hold you back, can't you use the CNC mill or the regular mill in E-16? Afterall- it would be a shame to make a putter that you chose not to use, due to inconsistent putting. You may have mentioned this, but do you have a specific material that you are looking to make it out of yet? But this sounds really awesome, you will have a putter to call your own and it would be one that you know so well.

    ReplyDelete